Monday, December 20, 2010

The title of this post was going to be "Now is the winter of discontent" but I decided it was too pretentious

I. Am. Bored.

I'm at school, which is usually a place that keeps me pretty busy, but for the 5th day in the past two weeks, students have exams, which means there is no one I can punish for not giving me their undivided attention.  What, then, is a narcissist to do? I know! Write about myself in a blog, and hope other people in other countries will give me their undivided attention.

I jest, I jest. I don't really think I'm a narcissist, but I do see this current state of boredom as an ideal time to catch up the interested on recent action.

Emily and I must teach 'English Camps' and 'Vacation Classes' during the Winter break. This is code for additional classes to allow already studied out students to study more. Our English Camp classes were due yesterday and today, so we have been working hard getting several more lessons ready than is usually required of us. Em completed her work with a flair of efficiency, diligence, and creativity, while I plodded, pilfered and procrastinated my way to the finish.  Although, to be honest, the procrastinating wasn't done nearly as well as my previous high standards demanded. I think I'm out of practice.  I mean, sure, I could kill the odd 10 minutes here and there, but over the long distance, when I have a whole day at my desk bereft of those inconvenient lessons, I can barely think of what to do to fill my time besides work.

We had snow again the other day. I was teaching my single most troublesome class of boys, and I saw the tell-tale flurries out the window.  Let me confide in you, a battle waged itself within me at that moment. On the one hand, here were 40 boys that could riot at the slightest encouragement, snowballing into an eighth grade boys' rebellion, and no doubt, a middle school revolution before the period finished. On the other hand, SNOW! I so badly wanted to tell everyone that it was snowing, that I had seen it first, that this doesn't normally happen and that it is very exciting and look at the size of those snowflakes. But prudence one out. Adulthood one out. And let me tell you, the child within me wept.

Unfortunately, and perhaps, I confess it now, inevitably, five minutes later a student shot up his hand - "Teacher! Snowing!" Those fateful words echo anew in my mind, as if in slow motion.  Students were drawn to the window before the rebellion's instigator had drawn a new breath, no doubt with the intention of uttering more treachery. However, with a whip crack command and a single unyielding finger drawn to my lips, I quelled their coup before they even knew what could have been - "Shh! Don't tell anyone. Close the windows."

In other less dramatic news, we are going to Busan on Friday night to have Christmas with some old friends of Emily's, and newer friends of mine, Scott and Ashleigh.  We are quite pumped. Christmas present purchasing has been a trial, as it costs around $45 to send a box to the US. We are still trying to work out teleportation, but no luck on that front yet. Maybe I should get to working on that instead, or another creative idea to get family members Christmas presents...

Until next time, faithful readers and obligated friends.

Oh, and this was Chris, by the way.

1 comment:

  1. As we said, Matthew agrees that snow is quite uncommon in Dageu, so enjoy the privilege.

    ReplyDelete