Sunday, December 12, 2010

There isn't really a cohesive theme for this post, hence the title.

As Chris mentioned in his last post. We DID have a bit of snow last week. It was beautiful. It made the freezing cold walk to school bearable. Unfortunately, today its raining. It was not beautiful, and the freezing (and now wet) walk to school was almost unbearable. But, we did in fact make it to school. A triumph of the human spirit.

Now, I don't know about you, but if I'm taking a 20 minute walk every morning in below freezing temperatures and part of that walk is next to a field (or a rice-paddy for some of us) where the wind has no barrier other than yours truly (and my very strong and broad-shouldered husband), I bundle up! Hat, big scarf, and mittens. This seems smart, doesn't it? Well, my students think it is a bit silly. They always laugh and say, "Ohh... cold?" or they indicate with sign language how bundled up I am. I usually look at them and ask (in an incredulous tone of voice) "Where is YOUR coat?" Some of the students have on a coat, a few wear mittens and no coat, no one wears a hat. Its not that they aren't cold. They admit that its not just cold, its freezing, and yet they don't do anything about it. Well, the good news is that I am no longer in middle school, so I need to be warm WAY more than I need to be cool. :)

As I read through the above paragraph, I recognize that I DO in fact, sound like an old woman. This is because I am turning into an old woman. Chris wanted to take me out for dinner and bowling on Saturday night. (Isn't he lovely!) Well, it was already dark out, and it was very cold, and wouldn't it be sooo nice to just be warm and cozy inside? We could just rent a movie right? So, that's what we did. We got take-away and watched a movie. Actually, we watched a documentary. I'm contemplating deleting this paragraph, because I definitely sound like I've come to Korea and aged about 45 years. Oh well, I need to be warm WAY more than I need to be cool.

We had a good time at our church yesterday. Singing Christmas carols and we are almost finished with a new-comers class. The past few weeks have been doctrinally focused. We've studied salvation, sanctification and the church. This Sunday was on the different ministries at the Korean church (a 4,000 member church) and our English service (about 100 member service). We are really excited about opportunities to serve and grow in ministry here. We're going to start leading a small group in January and we are talking about some other areas to get involved as well. The church is so interesting because it has such high turn-over. Most people are here for 1 year contracts, and they stay a max of 2 years. So, it takes people about 6 months to get into the groove of a new church and then they think, "I only have 6 months left, I can't really commit to anything..." We really don't want that to be our attitude. God brought us to Korea for a purpose and we want to seize it!

We'll let you know what we end up doing! Feel free to comment on how interesting this post was. It seems that Chris is getting more comments than I am. (And yes, EVERYTHING is a competition!! :)  )

1 comment: