Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Teacher you face is Beckham face same

Well, I'm not an experienced teacher, but I firmly believe the ability to communicate a point is more important than grammar, and I think the title of this post demonstrates that I am kicking goals with my students.  It turns out that Koreans think all Caucasians look the same, so I'm not getting carried away by the comparison.

For a while now, every time Em does something mean I've said, "that's going in the blog!"  It got to the point where I had to put my money where my mouth was and actually write something, but now I can't remember what I was going to write about.  So instead... Let the percussion of my keyboard paint you a word picture of what's going on for us right now:

Here I sit, in an apartment in Korea, typing one handed as I hold a frypan for Em that needs to cool without taking up space on the stove.  The laptop sits on our latest piece of furniture, a desk we spotted in front of some apartments down the street.  We are assuming the Melbourne policy applies, that if furniture isn't bolted down it's fair game.  Em is finishing cooking dinner (don't worry, I helped!), and has just observed that we need a new bottle of soy sauce - how Asian are we!  Somehow we scored a nice two bedroom place that is brand new.

It's a typical day for us, we got up at 6:15am (well the alarm went off then, and Em probably got up then too...), at school by 8:20am, between 4 and 6 classes to teach, some lesson plans to work on, and we were home by 5pm.  On the weekend we catch up with some other people from America or South Africa who are also teaching, or we just spend time together.

Teaching has its challenges, but all in all we are really glad we came.  Standing alone at the front of the class with 42 faces (hopefully) staring in your direction is a little intimidating when you can't think of words they will understand to explain what you mean, but the well behaved girls' classes make up for the sometimes colourful boys' classes.  Our students will study for hours every day, as well as attend after school classes. Despite being 13 year olds, they might not get home until after midnight, which means they are usually too tired in class for much to soak in.

We have a church that is 1 hour 15 min to 1 hour 30 min away, but it's a really nice group of people and we are enjoying being a part of it.

Well, I think I'll conclude.  Next time I'll ensure I have more specific things to talk about.

Peace,

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment